The US State Department announced that the Family 2A Category will become current on 1 July 2019 – this category has had around a 2-year backlog for many years.

This means that from 1 July 2019 a permanent resident can petition for their spouse and/or unmarried children to become permanent residents and if approved, it will allow them to move to the US to be with their spouse or parent (as the case may be). Up until now, with the 2-year backlog, there are cases where spouses and parents/children have been separated for an extended period of time.

This is great news for green card holders who have petitioned, or want to petition, their spouses and children. For green card holders whose spouse and/or children are lawfully present in the US, they should be ready to file their I-485 adjustment of status application on July 1. If a green card holder has yet to file an I-130 for his or her spouse and/or children, they can do so now or file the I-130 together with the I-485 application on July 1. This packet should include an application for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) and an Advance Parole (AP) international travel document.

If your spouse or child is outside of the US but your I-130 application has been approved, you should submit all required paperwork to the National Visa Centre immediately so that a visa interview may be scheduled.

If you have any questions on the above or would like us to prepare the necessary documentation for your spouse or child, contact Zed Legal today at

Comments are closed.